Thursday, April 28, 2011

EOC: Week 4: There's an App for That

Some Smartphone apps nowadays are just plain stupid and a complete waste of time. Others, however, are revolutionary and definitely serve a purpose. There are weight loss apps, coupon apps, gas station-finding apps, sound effect apps, flashcard apps, Photoshop apps, mobile banking apps, notepad apps, Netflix has an app, there's even app that lets you know if you're too drunk to drive home and orders a cab for you. There's an app for everything!

If I were to design an app, I would have one be that my phone never be able to die. Even if I drop it in the toilet (which often happens to Smartphone owners, unfortunately), if it gets run over by a cement truck, I want my phone to either stay alive or have all my memory saved on my phone somehow, so I can just transfer it to another one. I want an app that stores EVERYTHING that's on my phone...including all the apps I already have. I want a guarantee that I won't have to ask my friends for their cell phone numbers if something happens to my phone.

A second app that should definitely be in an App Store is one that finds your car. Luckily, many of these already exist. And isn't it such a great idea? I can't begin to count how many times I've actually lost my car in a parking lot. Beeping the lock key or the panic button don't do any good because the keys have a certain radius the buttons work in, and outside of that radius is moot. So let me find my car ANYWHERE. What if it gets stolen? I want to know where to go to kick the ass of the person who tried to get away with stealing my car. I don't want to have to ask, "Dude, where's my car?!".

Lastly, I want an app that will let me input my entire family medical history. How am I supposed to know if some relative had this disease? Well, let me pull out my phone and find out. That would make filling out paperwork at a doctor's office much more efficient and accurate, and that would help make sure that I get the proper medical care. How would I get that history inside the app? A simple questionnaire, similar to those given in waiting rooms at the doctor, would be all that's required. Quick and simple. And isn't that what app buyers want?

No comments:

Post a Comment